Frequently Asked Questions about the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump
If you have a question about the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System that is not listed here, please email email@example.com and we'll find the answer for you.
- Is the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System an energy efficient hot water system? How does it compare to a conventional electric storage hot water system?
- What are the benefits of the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System?
- How does a hot water heat pump system work?
- Which hot water system should I choose?
- I don’t understand the use of a CO2 refrigerant by the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System. Isn’t CO2 a greenhouse gas and therefore harmful to the environment?
- Why does the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System use CO2 as a refrigerant?
- What is the noise level of the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System?
- How do I purchase a Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System?
- What is the life expectancy of the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System?
- At what temperatures will the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System operate effectively?
- Does the Sanden Eco® HWHP System require the assistance of an electric backup/booster element to heat water, when outside ambient temperatures are very low?
- Can I operate the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System on Off-Peak Tariffs?
- What are RECs and STCs and what are they worth?
- Is water quality an important consideration for the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System?
- What do I do if my Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System has a problem?
- Do I need to register my warranty?
- Can the Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System be used with an on roof Photo Voltaic System, producing electricity?
You can save up to 80% of your conventional electric hot water energy costs! The Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump uses only 20% of the energy required by an electric storage hot water system.
Not only does a Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump help save on energy costs, it also delivers:
(a) The Heat Pump Unit
- Innovative technology -- up to 50% faster heat recovery than currently available Hot Water Heat Pumps.
- Industry leading quality & performance, with the highest level of STC values of currently available Hot Water Heat Pumps.
- Class leading warranties, backed by Sanden’s 35 years of operation in Australia.
(b) The Stainless Steel Storage Tank
- High quality, extra long life 316 Marine Grade stainless steel cylinder.
- Fully insulated for extremely low heat loss
- Safety pressure and temperature relief valve
- Mains pressure rated
3. How does a hot water heat pump system work?
The Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump operates like a refrigerator in reverse. It contains a fan that forces air through an evaporator that contains a refrigerant. The heat in the air passes through the evaporator and is absorbed by a natural refrigerant, R744 (CO2), which is ozone friendly and does not contribute to global warming.
The warm gaseous refrigerant is circulated in the system via a compressor. As it passes through the compressor, its pressure rises, as does its temperature. This hot refrigerant then passes through a heat exchanger to heat the water, which is finally pumped to the storage tank.
Sanden has 4 hot water systems to choose from, model numbers GAUS-315FQS has a tank size of 315L, model number GAUS-300FQS has a tank size of 300L, model number GAUS-250FQS has a tank size of 250L and model GAUS-160FQS has a tank size of 160L. The Sanden Eco® Plus Heat Pump unit is the same for each system. Which one you choose depends on the space requirements of the location where you are installing it. Please speak to your local Sanden Dealer/Installer about making the best choice for your location.
Yes, but CO2 has a Global Warming Potential (GWP – see below for explanation) of 1. Carbon dioxide is the baseline measurement of how it will contribute to global warming for a given mass.
Our system utilizes less than 1 kg of R744 (CO2) as a refrigerant contained in a closed system at the factory. The installer does not need to charge the heat pump on site.
Global warming potential (GWP) is a measure of how much a given mass of greenhouse gas is estimated to contribute to global warming.. It is a relative scale which compares the gas in question to that of the same mass of carbon dioxide (whose GWP is by convention equal to 1). A GWP is calculated over a specific time interval and this time interval must be stated whenever a GWP is quoted or else the value is meaningless.
- There is far less environmental impact (i.e. No ozone layer depletion and minimal global warming) than other commonly used refrigerants, should the system leak.
- There is a much higher efficiency, thereby allowing more heat to be transferred to the water, for less energy used (i.e. Excellent thermodynamic ability).
The unit is rated at 37dB (measured at 1 metre distance from the unit), which is almost silent. By comparison, a whisper is around 30dB and inside a library is approximately 40dB.
The Sanden HWHP is sold and distributed by the Sanden Dealer network. For your local Sanden Dealer/Installer, please use the Dealer/Installer locator on this website, or contact Sanden at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 97910999 OR Freecall 1800 146 123.
The Sanden HWHP is designed to last for 15 years. The high quality, weather resistant construction of the Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump System outdoor module carries a warranty of 6 years, whereas the high quality, extra long life stainless steel storage tank carries a class leading 15 year pro-rata warranty.
The Sanden HWHP will operate effectively between minus 10 and plus 43 degrees C, without the need for an electric backup/booster element. It is also fitted with in built freeze protection, making it suitable for all climates.
No, unlike other competitor HWHP systems, the Sanden Eco® HWHP system does not require an electric booster element
Yes, please refer to the Installation Manual for details. There are no special settings for off peak connection. Simply ensure that the off peak tariff supplies a minimum of 5 hours continuous power to the Sanden HWHP.
The purchase and installation of a Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump entitles you to Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) – formerly known as Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). For more information: visit www.environment.gov.au/climate-change and www.cleanenergyregulator.gov.au
The Sanden HWHP achieves the highest level of STCs of any hot water heat pump, currently available in Australia, and these are as below:
Yes. Importantly, no warranty applies to the heat pump unit and the storage tank, where the chloride level exceeds 200 mg/litre and the pH is less than 6.0 or more than 8.5. If in doubt, it is recommended that water chemistry information be sought from your local council or water supplier. Please refer to the separate section on Water Quality here.
Please contact the Sanden Dealer/Installer from whom you purchased your unit. If you are unable to reach your Dealer/Installer, then please call Sanden on (02) 97910999 OR Freecall 1800 146 123.
Yes. For efficient processing of warranty claims, should they arise, please register your Sanden Eco® Plus Hot Water Heat Pump here.
Yes. The Sanden Eco® Plus Heat Pump unit has a Blockout Timer, which can be set to run, when your PV system is producing electricity.